You’re anxious to fill an open position and you’ve identified some highly qualified candidates. Now it’s time to start the interview process to really get to know each candidate, their experience, and whether they would be the right fit for the job. But before you start drafting a list of questions, you might want to consider the most important question of all: “To ask or not to ask?” If you plan on asking questions about a candidate’s race, age, religion, sexual orientation, disability, or other sensitive topics, the answer is a resounding “NO”! Here are some examples of interview questions you might not realize are illegal and let slip while speaking to a job candidate:
- Are You Married? It may seem like you’re only making pleasant conversation, but any question that dives into a candidate’s family plans is technically illegal and falls under pregnancy discrimination.
- When Did You Graduate? This is a not-so-subtle way to calculate a candidate’s age and can quickly lead the conversation into illegal territory.
- How’s Your Health? For physically demanding jobs, it’s okay to ask about specific physical abilities (i.e. – standing on your feet for hours at a time, heavy lifting, etc). But anything that isn’t directly related to tasks performed on the job should never be questioned.
- What Country Are You From? As long as a candidate is authorized to work in the country where the job is located, employers can’t dig deeper into which country a candidate may be from or if English is his/her first language. Nationality discrimination is illegal.
- Have You Ever Been Arrested? Many states have adopted laws or policies which impact what employers can ask job candidates about their criminal history prior to evaluating their qualifications. Contemporaries can help you with the proper questions to ask in this situation.
Regulations regarding certain interview questions are continually changing and it can be hard to keep up. Contemporaries always stays up to date on new laws and legal interpretation of existing laws, so you can feel confident that all interviews through our employment agency adhere to fair hiring practices. By working with us, your business avoids liability since we take care of the entire process for you. Call Contemporaries at 301-565-0445 and let’s take the stress and confusion out of hiring the most qualified candidate for the job!