The end of a long project is always cause for celebration! The work is done, the project has been delivered to the client, and you and your team can finally take a breath. However, the process isn’t over. There is a difference between a “completed” project and a “closed” one. The loose ends that remain at the end of a project can come back to haunt you and cost your company money. It can also jeopardize the post project follow-through with your customers. But one of the main benefits of project close-out is the opportunity to reflect on “lessons-learned”. Taking a closer look at the problems faced in your last project might make your next one go more smoothly. Here are some questions to consider:
- Was the project mission completed?
- Was the work done on time, within budget, and according to specifications?
- What can be done to improve future projects?
- Were the stakeholders satisfied?
One of the big reasons why projects are not properly closed-out is a lack of available workers. It’s tempting to begin assigning resources to your next project rather than tying up loose ends on the previous one. That’s where experienced temporary workers can fill the void and help with the remaining administrative tasks. Here are a few examples:
- Sending out a final status report
- Collecting, organizing, and archiving project information
- Gathering feedback from the project team on their experiences and lessons learned and documenting them for future reference
- Asking for final payment and ensuring receipt
- Making sure all time sheets are approved
- Planning an activity or purchasing gifts for the project team as a reward for a job well-done
Once a project is complete, the process of tying up loose ends can seem like an after-thought. However, ignoring the final steps can be costly both to you and your customers. Contemporaries has a large pool of experienced, organized temporary workers who can help you with project close-out and ensure a smooth transition for your next big undertaking! Contact us and we can find the right fit for your needs.